Easter in Antigua is a photographer’s dream. In this unique workshop you will photograph religious events to which you will have special access. An important part of this experience is shooting at night. Streets are full of devoted members of the brotherhoods holding candles while awaiting the “andas” (floats) to go by. These magnificent structures hold centuries-old images being carried by dozens of men and women wearing the traditional attire of each brotherhood. A band follows each procession and the air is full of incense, providing a stunning backdrop for imagery. Before each procession, streets are adorned with handcrafted sawdust carpets.
Highly visual lectures and demonstrations cover digital camera settings, accurate metering and exposure, low light shooting and creative use of movement. You learn how to make pictures in the camera, not using Photoshop. The most important part of this learning experience is the critique sessions, where everyone’s photos are reviewed, analyzed and placed within each one’s individual story. The last night, a class slide show features each student’s vision of the week.
6 nights of single accommodations at the Meson de Maria Hotel.
All breakfasts and 2 group dinners.
All transportation for
Airport transfers are included.
*Price is per person, single occupancy.
Airfare from/to your home cities, meals not listed above, alcohol, personal expenses, visas if required are not included.
A deposit of $ 500 is required to reserve your space.
This workshop is limited to 10 students.
Welcome to Antigua, Guatemala. After you arrive at the Guatemala City International Airport, your driver will take you to the hotel, Meson de Maria. We will be meeting on the rooftop of the hotel for cocktails followed by dinner and orientation.
We start our day with lectures and in the afternoon we photograph our first Procession, San Felipe. At night, we photograph the Processions of both La Merced and San Felipe in front of the Cathedral.
We begin our day with our first critique. Right after lunch, we depart to photograph the San Francisco Procession. At night, we photograph both the San Francisco and San Cristobal Processions in front of the Cathedral.
Early morning, we depart to witness the departure of La Merced’s Holy Friday Procession, which travels around town over the most amazing sawdust and flower carpets. In the afternoon, we photograph the Escuela de Cristo Procession, hailed by many as the most spectacular of them all. Later that night, you will have a privileged vantage point to shoot this event as it travels through the town’s center.
We will start the day with our second critique of your images. After lunch, we will depart for Escuela de Cristo’s Female Procession. At night, we photograph both the Escuela de Cristo and San Felipe Processions in front of the Cathedral.
We will begin the day with our final critique. After lunch, we will photograph the San Pedro Procession at Parque Central. This will be our last night! It is the grand finale, which includes cocktails and dinner followed by the class show.
Depart for Guatemala City’s Airport
- PAYMENT OPTIONS
- GEAR LIST
- DETAILED ITINERARY
- CANCELLATIONS AND REFUNDS
- TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Page 4
Clients may pay for the workshop directly online or by check.
If the client chooses to pay by check, click here to get more information.
Photographic equipment: bring your normal photographic gear: a camera, lenses, and a flash if you have one. You are allowed to take two cameras into Guatemala. If you bring more than two, declare them on the customs form as you enter Antigua, Guatemala.
Please make sure your photography equipment is in good working order before leaving home, and be sure to bring extra batteries. There is nothing more frustrating than having your equipment quit during a workshop week, particularly in a foreign country where repair or replacement is challenging. Check with your insurance company and make sure your equipment is covered while you are in Antigua, Guatemala.
Please be aware that you will need to be technically self-sufficient and bring the following equipment with you:
- digital memory cards with reader
- power adapters and cables for laptop and digital camera
- camera manual
- batteries and charger for rechargeable batteries
- USB flash drive or external hard drive
It is expected that you know how to download images from your camera to the laptop, edit images using your software, and organize the edited images for critique.
Participants will be given “standards” to follow while at the workshops. These standards are designed to simplify daily presentations and critiques. The workshops will support your participation in our night participant’s image presentation by creating a digital presentation.
Thirty days before the start of your workshop you will receive a letter from us with more specific details on photo and computer gear.
Once you sign up, we will gladly provide you with the detailed itinerary!
Client’s participation in the workshop is not guaranteed unless and until payment is received in full by Raul Touzon. Unless otherwise agreed below, workshops are non-transferable and non refundable.
If you cancel, you will be refunded according to the following schedule, based on the full fee of the workshop.
- If requested more than 60 days from the start date of the workshop: full refund minus $250 fee.
- 31 days – 60 days: 50% refund
- Less than 30 days: no refund
- Refunds will be paid by the same method that the original payment was made.
- Refunds will be initiated within 72 hours of the time that the request is approved.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Photography workshop policies and general liability waiver
Please read the following document carefully. Each individual participating in a photography workshop conducted by Raul Touzon Photography must submit a signed copy of this form as part the registration process.
Participants under 18 years of age must also include the signature of a parent or guardian.
“The photographer” shall mean the organizer known as “Raul Touzon Photography”.
“The client(s)” shall be those who attend the workshop.
The information presented in this contract cannot be altered in any way by the client(s) unless such conditions are expressly agreed upon by Raul Touzon Photography and provided in writing prior to the commencement of the workshop.
- Health & safety: I am aware that the courses and activities related to the workshop in which I am participating present certain risks including, but not limited to, bodily injury, death, illness, loss or damage to personal property, and other safety-related dangers. I further understand that these outdoor photography courses in certain instances present inherent risks of personal injury or sickness, such as falling, falling rocks, getting lost, traveling in rough terrain, forces of nature such as lightning strikes, wild animals, absence of prompt medical attention, if needed, and travel by automobile or other conveyance. I understand these risks, recognize that these dangers cannot be eliminated, and acknowledge other dangers not mentioned may also exist. I understand the physical requirements of participation in these activities and affirm I meet these requirements, and that my physical and mental health is good, and that I am not under a doctor’s care for any condition that might endanger other participants or me. I understand that instructors may not possess the required training or equipment to handle incidents that may occur. In case of injury, accident, illness, or my inability to complete these activities, I will bear the full cost of any additional transportation or evacuation procedures performed by Raul Touzon Photography, its instructors or the national park services.
- Copyright & license: all photographs created by the client during the workshop remain the intellectual property of the client. The client retains full copyright of these images. Client images may be used to promote future workshops without compensation to Raul Touzon Photography or the client.
- Prices: prices for the workshops are available online and are non-negotiable. Amenities may vary for individual work- shops and it is the client’s responsibility to read the course details carefully. Airfare is not included in the workshop fees.
- Payments: you can make payments directly online or by check. We cannot guarantee your placement in a workshop unless we receive full payment. Unless specified, workshops are non-transferable.
- Refunds/cancellation by the client(s):
Cancellations will receive 100% refund minus a cancellation administration fee of $ 250.
Cancellations made within 31 days to 60 days prior to the start of workshop dates, are entitled to a 50% refund based on the full tuition fee of the workshop.
Cancellations made within a 30 days period prior to the start of a workshop will not be entitled to a refund.
In the unlikely event a workshop cannot be conducted for reasons defined in item (6), the client will receive a 100% refund, or the choice of an alternative workshop of equal value. No further compensation is required.
- Refunds/cancellation by Raul Touzon Photography due to an insufficient number of participants: if insufficient bookings are made, Raul Touzon Photography reserves the right to cancel or postpone a workshop. Notice will be given to the client no less than 10 days prior to the workshop date. In this circumstance an alternate workshop of equal value, or 100% refund be offered to the client.
Force majeure: (typically, force majeure clauses cover natural disasters or other “acts of god”, or the failure of third-parties such as suppliers and subcontractors to perform their obligations to the contracting party.)
The due performance of the contract is subject to alteration or cancellation by Raul Touzon Photography owing to any cause beyond their reasonable control (e.g. sudden illness/injury/victim of crime).
Raul Touzon Photography may substitute another photographer in the event that the assigned instructor is unable to attend the workshop due to such factors. However, it may prove difficult or impossible to find a skilled replacement at short notice. As explained in item (6), 100% refund, or an alternate course will be offered if no workshop can be performed.
- Valuables: all valuables belonging to the client including camera equipment are the clients’ responsibility. Raul Touzon Photography and its instructors cannot be held liable for any lost or damaged equipment (camera or other) while participating in a workshop.
- Complaints: any complaints regarding the workshop or its instructors must be made in writing within seven days of the workshop. All complaints will be taken seriously and acted upon accordingly.
- Logistics and accomodation: whenever possible, our trip participants are lodged in comfortable, modern hotels. We select among the best available accommodations, but refrain from extravagance. Some interesting photographic destinations are far removed from modern amenities.
- Our itinerary is intended as an example only. Participants should allow for flexibility due to changes in weather, natural history or cultural events, or other logistical arrangements deemed necessary by tour leader.
- Governing law: the laws of the state of Montana shall govern this agreement. Any notices required or permitted under this agreement shall be in writing and shall be deemed given if (I) delivered in person, (ii) sent by registered or certified mail, return receipt requested, with proper postage affixed, or (iii) sent by overnight mail service with confirmation of delivery. In the case of (I), notice shall be deemed effective upon delivery; in the case of (ii) and (iii), notice shall be deemed effective upon confirmation of receipt or delivery.
- Concealed weapons: in February 2010 the federal government lifted the ban on loaded and concealed weapons in our national parks. While we respect the rights of those who wish to carry firearms, Wild West photos will not allow individuals who participate in our workshops to carry firearms of any kind. If you have questions or concerns regarding this policy please contact us by phone or email prior to registration.
- Participation: I certify that I am voluntarily participating in these activities and assume all risks, consequences, and potential liability for this participation. I hereby release Raul Touzon Photography, its instructors, any landowner, employee of the landowner in which we hold the workshop, the us forest service, the national park service, and other land managers where these activities occur from any and all liability claims, causes of action, debts, and demands that may arise as a result of my participation in these activities. This document shall also serve as a release and assumption of risk for my heirs, personal representatives, executors, administrators, and members of my family. Raul Touzon Photography reserves the right to cancel or change activities without prior notice, and reserves the right to cancel the registration of any participant it determines fails to meet the requirements of these activities.
- Responsibility: Raul Touzon Photography act only as agents for the passenger in regards to travel including, but not limited to, sightseeing, meals, lodging, transportation, and all other services whether by railroad, motorcar, motor coach, boat, ship or aircraft and they assume no liability for injury, damage, loss, accident, delay or irregularity which may be occasioned either by reason of defect in any vehicle or for any reason whatsoever, or through the acts or default of any company or person engaged in conveying the passenger or in carrying out the arrangements of the trip.
They can accept no responsibility for losses or additional expenses due to delay or changes in air or other services, sickness, weather, strike, war, quarantine or other causes. All such losses or expenses will have to be borne by the passenger, as trip fees provided are for arrangements only for the times and locations stated. Baggage is at the owner’s risk entirely.
Signature of participant: ______________________________________________________
Print name: ______________________________________________________
As a parent or guardian of the participant indicated above, I acknowledge reading this form and agree to all the provisions above. In addition to the above release and assumption of risk, I also give my permission for instructors, staff, volunteers, and emergency personnel to make necessary first aid decisions in the event of an accident, injury, or illness to the above named participant.
Signature of parent/guardian: ______________________________________________________
Print name: ______________________________________________________