Dominating the heart of the peninsula are the Olympic Mountains. Easily reached by Hurricane Ridge, you travel among clouds to find distant mountains painted in layers of soft pastel colors. Down below, the early morning fog blankets the coast. Black-tail deer provide the perfect prop to the magnificent landscape evolving a mile high. Wildflowers paint meadows of color, Foxgloves and Daisies standing tall. This is wilderness that provides nourishment for the soul.
The weather is unpredictable and you are 100% dependent on nature’s whims. Near the coast, constant rains have created cathedrals of green. Rainforests filled with trees of unlimited wisdom. The HOH forest is home to the Hall of Mosses where Cattail Moss hangs from gigantic trees like ragged carpets of green. Trees here are like eerie creatures guarding this sacred ground.
At the Sol Duc Forest, the path to the falls is shielded by giant groves of Sitka Spruce. In this realm you will experience the quietest of all quiets and the solitude of all solitudes. Every step has a purpose, every corner a lesson in evolution, every path decorated by scores of wildflowers.
On the southern tip is Quinault Forest where moss-encrusted Big Leaf Maples glow amongst thousands of fern that thrive on the wet floor. This forest breathes, listens and answers. Salmonberries provide food for Roosevelt Elks and humans alike. A drive around the lake is a journey of discovery as this magnificent evolves in every turn.
The coast is lined with centuries-old logs, giant toothpicks tossed around by ocean’s rage. At low tide, reflections of earth and sky are projected into the sea-soaked sand. Pools provide a micro ecosystem filled with ocean’s riches. Places like Ruby, Rialto and Second Beach provide a front row seat to the beginning and end of each day.
This is nature at its best, a show off of color and drama, a visual extravaganza for the heart and soul.
Includes 9 days/8 nights of accommodation
One group dinner
*Price is per person, single occupancy.
Airfare from/to your home cities, airport transfer to the hotel, meals not listed above, alcohol, personal expenses, visas if required are not included.
A deposit of $ 500 is required to reserve your space.
This workshop is limited to 10 participants.
Arrive in Seattle-Tacoma airport and check in into hotel, which is located near the terminal. Check-in will be after 3:00pm
Day 2 & 3
SEATTLE & PORT ANGELES
Start the day with our operations meeting where the group meets and goes over how we are going to work over the next few days. Mid-morning we depart for Port Angeles, our first base of operations.
This costal town serves as fishing port as well as the departure point for ferries crossing to Canada.
In the afternoon, we photograph the shores of Lake Crescent followed by a hike to Marymere Falls. We end the day shooting the beautiful trees at water’s edge on Fairmore.
HURRICANE RIDGE, DEER PARK AND SALT CREEK
Early morning drive to Hurricane Ridge to capture sunrise over the Olympic Mountains. Fog rolls in an out of this alpine landscape providing a great background for images.
Right after breakfast we head out to Deer Park to shoot more mountain scenery.
After lunch, it is time for our first one on one where we discuss the images shot during the first two days.
In the afternoon, we head out to our first coastal shoot. Salt Creek is tide pool capital of the world; here you will find all sorts of marine creatures to photograph as we wait for the sun to set.
SOL DUC, RIALTO BEACH & SECOND BEACH
Rise and shine, time to head out to the Sol Duc rainforest where gigantic spruces line up the path to the waterfall. This is macro heaven as every corner is covered in wildflowers.
After breakfast, we drive to La Push and Rialto beaches where giant logs adorn the shore providing one unique setting for image making.
After lunch is time for our second one on one. We will have an early dinner, after which we wait for the sun to go down in one of the most photogenic beaches in the park. At low tide, the Second Beach glows with beautiful reflections and amazing sea stacks fire up in the afternoon light.
HALL OF MOSSES, KALALOCH & FORKS
After an early check out, we head out to the HOH rainforest, home of the Hall of Mosses. Here, the big maples trees are covered in Cattail Moss glowing in the faint pre-dawn light. The paths are lined up with thousands of ferns. This is one amazing site for moody shots.
After breakfast, we explore the coast in Kalaloch. In the early afternoon, we arrive in Forks, our home for the next couple of days.
After another one on one and early dinner, we depart for Ruby Beach to photograph the sunset at low tide. There are magnificent reflections and plenty of opportunities for panoramic and slow shutter images
SEDOND BEACH, QUINAULT & MAPLE GLADE TRAIL
Ready up for a pre-dawn hike to Second Beach again. We already saw this place glow in the afternoon, now we photograph it as the early morning light caresses the sea stacks and tide pools. After breakfast, it is time to head south to Quinault, site of the lake and forest of the same name.
In late afternoon, we shoot Maple Glade Trail. This is one of the most dramatic landscapes of the trip. Gigantic trees entirely covered in moss guard this sacred ground. After the hike, we drive the amazing north shore road to capture some more forest scenery with the lake as the background.
Dinner by the lake’s shore follows.
QUINAULT & SEATTLE
Early morning hike to the Gatton Creek falls followed by a short drive to photograph the magnificent Merriman Falls.
After breakfast and a couple of hours of rest, we head back to Seattle. You will have a free afternoon to explore the city on your own.
Check out before noon, and time to head home
Clients may pay for the workshop directly online or by check.
If the client chooses to pay by check, click here to get more information.
Once you sign up, we will gladly provide you with the detailed itinerary!
Client’s participation in the workshop is not guaranteed unless and until payment is received in full by Raul Touzon. Unless otherwise agreed below, workshops are non-transferable and non refundable.
If you cancel, you will be refunded according to the following schedule, based on the full fee of the workshop.
- If requested more than 60 days from the start date of the workshop: full refund minus $250 fee.
- 31 days – 60 days: 50% refund
- Less than 30 days: no refund
- Refunds will be paid by the same method that the original payment was made.
- Refunds will be initiated within 72 hours of the time that the request is approved.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Photography workshop policies and general liability waiver
Please read the following document carefully. Each individual participating in a photography workshop conducted by Raul Touzon Photography must submit a signed copy of this form as part the registration process.
Participants under 18 years of age must also include the signature of a parent or guardian.
“The photographer” shall mean the organizer known as “Raul Touzon Photography”.
“The client(s)” shall be those who attend the workshop.
The information presented in this contract cannot be altered in any way by the client(s) unless such conditions are expressly agreed upon by Raul Touzon Photography and provided in writing prior to the commencement of the workshop.
- Health & safety: I am aware that the courses and activities related to the workshop in which I am participating present certain risks including, but not limited to, bodily injury, death, illness, loss or damage to personal property, and other safety-related dangers. I further understand that these outdoor photography courses in certain instances present inherent risks of personal injury or sickness, such as falling, falling rocks, getting lost, traveling in rough terrain, forces of nature such as lightning strikes, wild animals, absence of prompt medical attention, if needed, and travel by automobile or other conveyance. I understand these risks, recognize that these dangers cannot be eliminated, and acknowledge other dangers not mentioned may also exist. I understand the physical requirements of participation in these activities and affirm I meet these requirements, and that my physical and mental health is good, and that I am not under a doctor’s care for any condition that might endanger other participants or me. I understand that instructors may not possess the required training or equipment to handle incidents that may occur. In case of injury, accident, illness, or my inability to complete these activities, I will bear the full cost of any additional transportation or evacuation procedures performed by Raul Touzon Photography, its instructors or the national park services.
- Copyright & license: all photographs created by the client during the workshop remain the intellectual property of the client. The client retains full copyright of these images. Client images may be used to promote future workshops without compensation to Raul Touzon Photography or the client.
- Prices: prices for the workshops are available online and are non-negotiable. Amenities may vary for individual work- shops and it is the client’s responsibility to read the course details carefully. Airfare is not included in the workshop fees.
- Payments: you can make payments directly online or by check. We cannot guarantee your placement in a workshop unless we receive full payment. Unless specified, workshops are non-transferable.
- Refunds/cancellation by the client(s):
Cancellations will receive 100% refund minus a cancellation administration fee of $ 250.
Cancellations made within 31 days to 60 days prior to the start of workshop dates, are entitled to a 50% refund based on the full tuition fee of the workshop.
Cancellations made within a 30 days period prior to the start of a workshop will not be entitled to a refund.
In the unlikely event a workshop cannot be conducted for reasons defined in item (6), the client will receive a 100% refund, or the choice of an alternative workshop of equal value. No further compensation is required.
- Refunds/cancellation by Raul Touzon Photography due to an insufficient number of participants: if insufficient bookings are made, Raul Touzon Photography reserves the right to cancel or postpone a workshop. Notice will be given to the client no less than 10 days prior to the workshop date. In this circumstance an alternate workshop of equal value, or 100% refund be offered to the client.
Force majeure: (typically, force majeure clauses cover natural disasters or other “acts of god”, or the failure of third-parties such as suppliers and subcontractors to perform their obligations to the contracting party.)
The due performance of the contract is subject to alteration or cancellation by Raul Touzon Photography owing to any cause beyond their reasonable control (e.g. sudden illness/injury/victim of crime).
Raul Touzon Photography may substitute another photographer in the event that the assigned instructor is unable to attend the workshop due to such factors. However, it may prove difficult or impossible to find a skilled replacement at short notice. As explained in item (6), 100% refund, or an alternate course will be offered if no workshop can be performed.
- Valuables: all valuables belonging to the client including camera equipment are the clients’ responsibility. Raul Touzon Photography and its instructors cannot be held liable for any lost or damaged equipment (camera or other) while participating in a workshop.
- Complaints: any complaints regarding the workshop or its instructors must be made in writing within seven days of the workshop. All complaints will be taken seriously and acted upon accordingly.
- Logistics and accomodation: whenever possible, our trip participants are lodged in comfortable, modern hotels. We select among the best available accommodations, but refrain from extravagance. Some interesting photographic destinations are far removed from modern amenities.
- Our itinerary is intended as an example only. Participants should allow for flexibility due to changes in weather, natural history or cultural events, or other logistical arrangements deemed necessary by tour leader.
- Governing law: the laws of the state of Montana shall govern this agreement. Any notices required or permitted under this agreement shall be in writing and shall be deemed given if (I) delivered in person, (ii) sent by registered or certified mail, return receipt requested, with proper postage affixed, or (iii) sent by overnight mail service with confirmation of delivery. In the case of (I), notice shall be deemed effective upon delivery; in the case of (ii) and (iii), notice shall be deemed effective upon confirmation of receipt or delivery.
- Concealed weapons: in February 2010 the federal government lifted the ban on loaded and concealed weapons in our national parks. While we respect the rights of those who wish to carry firearms, Wild West photos will not allow individuals who participate in our workshops to carry firearms of any kind. If you have questions or concerns regarding this policy please contact us by phone or email prior to registration.
- Participation: I certify that I am voluntarily participating in these activities and assume all risks, consequences, and potential liability for this participation. I hereby release Raul Touzon Photography, its instructors, any landowner, employee of the landowner in which we hold the workshop, the us forest service, the national park service, and other land managers where these activities occur from any and all liability claims, causes of action, debts, and demands that may arise as a result of my participation in these activities. This document shall also serve as a release and assumption of risk for my heirs, personal representatives, executors, administrators, and members of my family. Raul Touzon Photography reserves the right to cancel or change activities without prior notice, and reserves the right to cancel the registration of any participant it determines fails to meet the requirements of these activities.
- Responsibility: Raul Touzon Photography act only as agents for the passenger in regards to travel including, but not limited to, sightseeing, meals, lodging, transportation, and all other services whether by railroad, motorcar, motor coach, boat, ship or aircraft and they assume no liability for injury, damage, loss, accident, delay or irregularity which may be occasioned either by reason of defect in any vehicle or for any reason whatsoever, or through the acts or default of any company or person engaged in conveying the passenger or in carrying out the arrangements of the trip.
They can accept no responsibility for losses or additional expenses due to delay or changes in air or other services, sickness, weather, strike, war, quarantine or other causes. All such losses or expenses will have to be borne by the passenger, as trip fees provided are for arrangements only for the times and locations stated. Baggage is at the owner’s risk entirely.
Signature of participant: ______________________________________________________
Print name: ______________________________________________________
As a parent or guardian of the participant indicated above, I acknowledge reading this form and agree to all the provisions above. In addition to the above release and assumption of risk, I also give my permission for instructors, staff, volunteers, and emergency personnel to make necessary first aid decisions in the event of an accident, injury, or illness to the above named participant.
Signature of parent/guardian: ______________________________________________________
Print name: ______________________________________________________